Wednesday 14 July 2010

INTERVIEW: Orphan 101 [Saigon/Deca]



Coming recommended by people like Appleblim and Headhunter, the Orphan101 name has been something bandied about our intrinsically small world for a while now. Possible inclusions on line ups we had an in on along with mixes for other blogs all piqued our interest but it’s when we received the promo for his 'Tribtek Pt.s 1 and 2' that we went on the chase. Splitting his moody singular creation across 2 sides of wax for a brand new label, the freshly minted Saigon Records, with its highly reverbed conga’s, ocean sized atmospherics and relentless punch it felt a little like if Shackleton had embraced pads with the same gusto he welcomes sine waves.

We’re pleased to welcome the 49th Sonic Router mix from Bristol’s Orphan101.

Sonic Router: Can you provide those who may not know you with a bit of background info?

Opran101: My name is Rob Davies I grew up and live in Bristol England and I go by the production name of Orphan101. I suppose I make a melt of house, techno and dubstep. I really don’t think about what genre my tunes fit into when I make them but those three probably sum them up.

What inspired the Orphan101 moniker?

Well I’m a bit of a lost soul so orphan fits me well and the 101 is just to be different from anybody else who wants or calls them self orphan or already has.

How did you first get into making music? What was it that infected you to do so?

I started making music about 5 years ago with Headhunter all my close friends make music and I got into it, really its pretty simple no interesting stories to tell. Now its takes up the majority of my time.



What’s your production set up like? What’s your favourite bit of kit in the studio?

A computer, I use several different types of programmes for different things from Ableton to Logic to Reason, what ever I’m trying to achieve ill use what I think I need to.

Where do you take inspiration from when making music?

I suppose it all depends on what time of the day it is and the events of that day that sum up my attitude at that point in time; sometimes lazy sometimes serious even depressed all types of moods really.

How would you describe your sound? It seems to focus heavily on four four technoid drum patterns…

Well it varies for the reasons stated above but there’s no set theme or mood, just how I feel at the time when I make any particular tune.

Your first release on the freshly minted Saigon Recordings is out now. What’s the deal, what can we expect from the release?

Well the tune was originally about 15 mins long so I split it in two for the vinyl I avoid trying to describe what it is I suppose it’s up to the listener to decide for them self.

You’ve also got bits dropping on Apple Pips and Deca Rhythm which is a new label between you, Headhunter and Bloodman I gather? What other projects have you got on the label and in the pipeline in general?

I’m pretty busy with the Deca thing with Headhunter and Bloodman just getting the releases sorted for this year see how it pans out and go from there. I mite release something on it next year because I already have releases sorted for this year and the Applepips release will happen when it happens no rush really me and Appleblim keep changing it.



What’s happening with you in the rest of 2010? Gigs, releases, personal growth etc?

I’m off to Copenhagen in August with Pips and I play at the Pips nights in Bristol, besides that not a lot really; odd podcast and radio show, I just like making tunes. I’m not too fussed about all the other stuff I’m kinda easy going when it comes to the future.

::

DOWNLOAD: Orphan101 – Sonic Router Mix



Tracklist:

1 . Gravious – Lunar Module (Saigon Recordings Dub)
2 . Microburst - Pistol Shrimp (Saigon Recordings Dub)
3 . Setspeed - A Detail From A Larger Work (Saigon Recordings Dub)
4 . Ike Release – Citidael (Saigon Recordings Dub)
5 . Bloodman – Ganamede
6 . Siprut - Like A Whale (Okapi Remix)
7 . Orphan101 & Bloodman Feat Soraya Saberi - All The Way
8 . Kidkut - Get Sum
9 . DJG - Time Is Fire
10 .Bloodman - Remote Viewing (Deca Rhythm)
11 .J@kes - Captain Nemo
12 .Addison Groove - ?
13 .Orphan101 – Similate
14 .Orpahn101 – Paq
15 .Orphan101 & Bloodman - Sunken Moon
16 .Orphan101 – Reverence (Mr Lager Remix)
17 .Orphan101 – Tribtek Pt.1 (Saigon Recordings – SAIGON001)
18 .Orphan101 & Bloodman Feat Soraya Saberi – Au Dela
19 .Komonazmuk - Dance Too (Apple Pips)

Links:
www.myspace.com/orrphan101
www.saigonrecordings.com

No comments:

Post a Comment