Thursday 9 September 2010

INTERVIEW: Crackazat [Astro:Dynamics]



The name Crackazat first came up in conversation with Rekordah. A Bristol native Cracka had a remix on the 7” that Rekordah put out on the Spanish Lo Fi Funk label, refixing ‘Cherry Coke’ into a slow mo house haze of pulsing synthesizers. One that incidentally perfectly soundtracks a wandering mind pumped full of 500mg co-codamol tablets. Also featuring on the Astro:Dynamics album, his name cropped up again on ‘Party In The Clouds,’ where he displayed a unique talent for supplementing his beats with the kind of knowing boogie and production panache you’d expect from a seasoned vet.

Straddling the slower tempos with an skewed and accomplished pomp he's a young talent and a player whose output we’re watching out for with a close very close eye and he just put together our 54th Sonic Router Mix.

Sonic Router: Can you provide those who may not know you with a bit of background info?

Crackazat: I'm a producer, arranger and musician. I grew up in Bristol. I moved to London in 2007 to study jazz at university. Now I teach, play and compose electronic and acoustic music.

Outside of music who are you? What do you do on the daily?

Outside of producing, I work as a bassist and I compose for my own ensembles. I teach instrumentally and run music workshops.

How did you first get into making music? What was it that infected you to do so?

I started tap dancing to jazz when I was very young. When I was 14, I started making music on guitar, and recording on my computer. My brother played drums, and we started a band. Shortly after, I started making beats on my PC.

Through music, I can be myself and deliver my messages.


Crackazat – Loop De Loop

What’s your production set up like? What’s your favourite bit of kit in the studio?

I use a mixture of synths, samples, and live recordings. My favourite bit of kit in the studio, is the simple ability to record and loop ideas. I like the idea of composing with loops, and building on an idea; using layers; it’s like being your own audience. Acting and reacting, almost simultaneously.

Where do you take inspiration from when making music? What influences what you make?

I take inspiration when I'm listening to others. I listen to who they are, and what they are saying. If I'm moved by the experience, if it resonates with me, I take inspiration from it.

You had a beat on the awesome Astro:Dynamics compilation and you remixed Rekordah on his 7” for Lo Fi Funk. Without limiting you to this ‘beats’ context, what can people expect from your music? To me there’s a bit more of a boogie element to it…

Absolutely. House, funk, soul, boogie, samba, jazz…. It’s all in there. I guess this beat/electronic movement has opened up the platform for electronic musicians; especially now that everyone has a computer and a music program. Everyone’s including all their influences, all their character.

As for myself, yes, I am particularly fond of the boogie funk.

What other projects have you got in the pipeline?

My next release will be an EP, which I am releasing with Rekordah on his Astro:Dynamics Label. We are both very excited about it.

Tell us a little bit about the mix you turned in for us…

I certainly enjoyed making the mix. It explores various downtempo musics and mellow funk. As well some new ones of mine, I've included some unreleased material from two great producers, Type Sun and Linkling.

Any words of wisdom, for our readers?

Thanks for reading, and enjoy the mix.

::

DOWNLOAD: Crackazat – Sonic Router Mix #54



Tracklist:

1. Erroll Garner – Stormy Weather
2. Koushik – Morning Comes
3. Skalpel – So Far
4. Lukid – Saddlebags
5. Super Smoky Soul – Compromise (Original Mix)
6. Flako – Hump
7. Sam Irl & Dorian Concept - Untitled One
8. Moo – Spacetravelin'
9. Slope Ft Capitol A – In The Mix
10. Crackazat Ft Evergreen – Flight
11. The Clonious – Emora
12. Louis Bordeaux – Ecstasy
13. Mr Beatnick ft Ahu – I Know All The Bitches (Bullion rmx)
14. Type Sun – Untitled (album draft)
15. Iinkling – Hiliya
16. Crackazat – Hermeto (Tribute Groove)

Link:
www.myspace.com/crackazatmusic
http://astrodynamics.tumblr.com

No comments:

Post a Comment