Monday 29 March 2010

DOWNLOAD: Redinho - Bare Blips Sampler



Following up ‘The Golden Handshake’ EP from Low Limit and Lando Kal, collectively known as LazerSword, and the anthemic ‘IfUWantMe’ from Deadboy, the freshly minted Numbers imprint are serving up the ‘Bare Blips’ EP from London resident, Redinho, next month. Anyone who caught his bombastic live show at the label launch at Plastic People late last year can testify that Red's squashed syrup of low end frequencies and hip hop swagger is frankly, intense. Micro produced and with a strong focus on intensity the full EP is a glory to behold; flickering from the thump of the eponymous track to the flutter of the aptly named ‘Pitter Patter,’ Red explores ideas quickly, seemingly mastering each mood with ease.

Ahead of his slot at the Numbers fabric takeover this Friday, he passed us a minimix of the forthcoming EP and being that he’s one of the nicest dudes you ever shall meet, we shot him a few quizzical probes for dramatic effect.

Sonic Router: Can you provide those who may not know you with a bit of background info?

Redinho: I’m about to drop my debut EP, ‘Bare Blips,’ on Numbers.

Outside of music who are you? What do you do on the daily?

Tom Calvert aka Red. On the daily, I’m a professional nine to five avoider.

How did you first get into making music? What was it that infected you to do produce?

I spent a lot of time making music with my two brothers. I started playing drums, and my brothers got a guitar and bass. It’s weird because my parents aren’t musical in the slightest. I remember making recordings right from the start using a village tape recorder with a built in microphone ‘hole.’ We would set the drum kit up in one corner of the room, and place the tape recorder in the opposite corner, and my brother would “rap” as I played the drums. That way, if he rapped loudly (i.e. screamed), some sort of mix balance was achieved between the drums and the vocals on the recording.

Even more elaborate recording techniques were invented to combat our lack of equipment until we managed to borrow a multi track tape recorder. I used to rinse that thing until it was literally burning hot. Looking back on it, it was always recording that I loved. I didn’t really practice playing instruments; I just practiced writing and recording. I would make loads of tracks where I played everything from the drums, guitars, bass to vocals. Without realising it, I was producing, and it was something that I naturally loved to do and haven’t ever been able to stop doing since.

What’s your production set up like?

Laptop, vinyl, plus a few toys and whatever else I’ve managed to “borrow” from people.

Where do you take inspiration from when making music?

Gigs of all sorts leave a lasting impression on me. Also there’s just so much good music out there - past and present.

How would you describe your sound?

Some have described ‘Bare Blips’ as a fusion of electronic, beats and grime. I’m happy with that. The newer stuff I’m making has a different feel to it, maybe a more glorious vibe harmonically, but you can still hear those reference points in it.

What draws you to the mentally contorted, hip hop sound?


I’d say hip hop is essentially 'funk' music; I’ve always liked funk music, or music with a strong beat.

Your first release is out imminently on Numbers right? Can you tell us a bit about that...?

The ‘Bare Blips’ EP will be out on Numbers very soon. I made most of it in a week. I tuned into one of those autopilot zones. I just wanted to make something that excited and entertained me.

What else have you got coming up? (releases, gigs/plug the fabric show etc etc)

I’m playing live at fabric on this Friday in the Numbers room alongside Rustie, Martyn and Jackmaster. I'm also playing a Numbers thing in Glasgow on the 17th April with Deadboy.

Release wise, there's ‘Bare Blips’ v. soon, then I’ve got a track with Riz MC, and some more Redinho stuff to follow.

::

DOWNLOAD: Redinho - Bare Blips Sampler



Tracklist:

Boy Racer
Bare Blips Bonus Beat
Bare Blips
Banger
Nuff Stubble Rash
Pitter Patter

Catch Redinho at fabric, this Friday:



Link:
www.myspace.com/redinhomusic

No comments:

Post a Comment